Program Extension


A J-1 scholar may receive an extension of stay if:

  • The current DS-2019 has not yet expired
  • The scholar is still engaged in the activity shown on the DS-2019
  • The scholar is otherwise maintaining status as a J-1 Exchange Visitor (e.g., maintaining required health insurance coverage for self and all J-2 dependents; not engaging in unauthorized employment)
  • The scholar can demonstrate adequate funding for the period of the proposed extension
  • The extension will not carry the scholar beyond: five years if categorized on the DS-2019 as a J-1 Professor or Research Scholar, six months as a Short-Term Scholar, or one year as a Specialist
  • The scholar has not received a waiver of the Two Year Home Residence requirement if subject to this restriction.


Request extension at least one month before the permission to stay expires (i.e. the end date shown on the DS-2019).  ISSS will need the following information from the supervising faculty member or other authorized department personnel:

  • your name, CWID, SEVIS#
  • your position title
  • the proposed dates of the extension
  • the amount and source of the funding

If your stay is not supported by Mines funding, you will need to provide ISSS proof of funds (i.e., external grant award letter, personal bank statement, etc.). Salary support must meet the minimum established for certain Mines positions, e.g. postdoctoral or postgraduate appointments.

Departments can submit extension information through email.

Please refer them to Extending Scholar Programs.  This webpage provides the same instructions for the department so that they can submit the request. 
After receipt of the request, ISSS will prepare a new DS-2019 to validate the extension. When completed, we will email you so you may pick it up.


• J-2 dependents will also need a new DS-2019. Please provide J-2 dependent information in the space provided on the ‘J-1 Scholar Extension Request Form’.
• Extending permission to stay in the U.S. is the responsibility of the scholar and host. If the stay is not extended before expiration of the current DS-2019, the scholar is “out of status” and must apply for reinstatement, which may or may not be granted by the U.S. Department of State. If employed by Mines and an extension is not complete, the scholar will be working illegally. If this is the case, the scholar must contact ISSS immediately.

© 2017 Colorado School of Mines | | Equal Opportunity | Privacy Policy | Directories | Text Only | | rss

Last Updated: 08/04/2017 08:23:15